Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Scangauge X-Gauges Programming - C-Max / FFH

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

For those of you with a Scangauge, here are the programming codes

Scangauge X-Gauges for FFH - C-Max hybrid

Hv  Battery State-of-Charge: units %

TXD:07E4224801
RXF: 046245480601
RXD: 3010
Mth : 000100050000
NAM: SoC

Hv  Battery Voltage: units Volts

TXD: 07E422480D
RXF: 04624548060D
Mth : 000100010000
NAM: HVB

Hv  Battery Temp: units degrees F

TXD: 07E4224800
RXF: 046285480600
RXD:3008
Mth : 00120001FDBC
NAM: BaT

Maximum Discharge Power Limit: units kW

TXD: 07E4224815
RXF: 046245480615
RXD: 3008
Mth : 001900010000
NAM: MxD

Maximum Charge Power Limit: units kW

TXD: 07E4224816
RXF: 046245480616
Mth : 001900010000
NAM: MxC

Average Battery Module Voltage: units Volts

TXD: 07E4224841
RXF: 046245480641
RXD:3010
Mth : 0001000A0000
NAM: AvM

Inside Car Temp: units degrees F

TXD: 07E422DD04
RXF: 046285DD0604
Mth : 00120001FE70
NAM: InT

Battery Age: units months

TXD: 07E4224810
RXF: 046285480610
Mth : 000100140000
NAM: age

Interested to see how battery age compares with the actual age of the vehicle......

Transmission Temp: units degrees F

TXD: 07E1221E1C
RXF: 0462851E061C
Mth : 000900080140
NAM: TFT

Hv  Current: units amps

TXD: 07E122480B
RXF: 04628548060B
Mth : 000100050000
NAM: AMP

Motor Electronics Coolant Temp: units degrees F

TXD: 07E1224832
RXF: 046285480632
Mth : 001200010140
NAM: MeT

Engine run time: units minutes

TXD: 07E122F41F
RXF: 046245F4061F
Mth : 001900100000
NAM: TmE

Generator Inverter Temp: units degrees F

TXD: 07E122481E
RXF: 04628548061E
Mth : 00120001140
NAM: GnT

Motor Inverter Temp: units degrees F

TXD: 07E1224824
RXF: 046285480624
Mth : 001200010140
NAM: MoT

Per CarlD at Cleanmpg.com

Gary

• mikeb, larryh and jdbob like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Wow! Excellent work - I have not moved my Scangauge over to the C-Max yet because I'm still learning the standard displays.  Some of these parameters look really interesting!

#3 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Wow! Excellent work - I have not moved my Scangauge over to the C-Max yet because I'm still learning the standard displays.  Some of these parameters look really interesting!

You must take off the door to the OBD connection in the C-Max to plug-in the Scangauge because the Scangauge plug is to big to fit through to openning. My dealer did this for me and I can always put the door back on when I remove my Scangauge to sell the car.

Carl and I have been working with "James Delong the Inventor of the Scangauge" for years, but Carl is the brains behind the programming. I got Carl and James together in 2007 so Ford owners can have the information from the Scangauge we have today. Good bunch of people!

Gary

• dr61 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

Where did you mount your display?

#5 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

Where did you mount your display?

I have it sitting in front of the PRNDL display now, but have not mounted it yet. I will mount it so I can view the road ahead at the same time for safety reasons. I'll let you know where soon when I plan for making a bracket for the mount.

Gary

#6 OFFLINE   rmcmast

rmcmast

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationKansas City, MO
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi SEL

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

Dave,

Here is how I mounted mine (images below). Also, on the C-Max (not sure about the Energi), there are 2 OBD II ports. In addition to the one behind the door, there is another one down below the dash that can be accessed directly.

image10.jpg

image16.jpg
  • dr61 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:00 AM

That's great! I didn't think to check for a second OBD connection. I can put the door back on now.

Gary

• dr61 likes this

#8 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

I'm thinking about the Scangauge MPG calibration on the Energi.  It seems like the calibration procedure for MPG at fill-ups  is not going to be practical, because almost all tanks of fuel will include varying number and amount of electric recharges.  

#9 OFFLINE   rmcmast

rmcmast

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationKansas City, MO
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi SEL

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'm thinking about the Scangauge MPG calibration on the Energi.  It seems like the calibration procedure for MPG at fill-ups  is not going to be practical, because almost all tanks of fuel will include varying number and amount of electric recharges.

I have a problem with instant and trip mpg on my Scangauge with the C-Max. It's a little off and only briefly shows 9999 for instant mpg when I go into EV. The Scangauge shows a small rate of flow when I'm in EV for gallons per hour: .07. It may be that I need to have the firmware updated though.

#10 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

The Scangauge shows a small rate of flow when I'm in EV for gallons per hour: .07. It may be that I need to have the firmware updated though.

Mine says 0.06.  Poking around on the internet, it seems that quite a few different kinds of cars do this and I haven't found any way around it.

#11 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the codes and the hint on the extra OBD port.  I plugged in the cable to that port under the dashboard.  There was a metal tab there which I used to twist tie all the loops of extra cable so they won't tangle my feet.  Then I ran the cable behind the dashboard and was able to fish it out beneath the steering column.  There's a plastic piece there where it can also be twist tied to keep it out of trouble.  The gauge is on top of the steering column.  By far the cleanest ScanGauge setup I've done without removing any panels.

ScanGauge Mount

ScanGauge Cable

Edited by viajero, 08 June 2013 - 11:13 AM.

• dr61 likes this

#12 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

The State of Charge (SoC) code is one of the more interesting ones.  Some observations:

A full charge is between 99 and 100 percent.

The range runs out and the display switches to the "little battery" at about 21% SoC.

In hybrid mode, SoC only varies plus or minus 3 percent or so.  I haven't driven it a lot since installing the gauge, but it hasn't gone much below 19%.

It varies a bit, but about 98% SoC is where the ICE turns on if you shift into L.

You can find out just how much regen you get from going down a hill.  Now I'm looking forward to driving more big hills.

#13 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

The Battery Temperature (BaT) is also enlightening.  Some more notes:

113 or 114 degrees F is where the ICE will turn on, even if there is range left in the battery.

While charging in the garage, BaT is usually in the high 90s.

I've seen it get as hot as 111 F sitting in the sun on a hot day.  Luckily I have a garage at home and at work, so that rarely happens.

#14 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Some other codes didn't do much for me:

MxD.  This one always reads 35.0.

MxC, AMP, MeT, TmE, and MoT didn't return any values.

GnT was missing a digit on Mth.  I tried adding a 0 but it didn't return any value.

#15 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

The Battery Temperature (BaT) is also enlightening.  Some more notes:

113 or 114 degrees F is where the ICE will turn on, even if there is range left in the battery.

While charging in the garage, BaT is usually in the high 90s.

I've seen it get as hot as 111 F sitting in the sun on a hot day.  Luckily I have a garage at home and at work, so that rarely happens.

Yesterday it was around 109F here.  My wife reports that after the car was sitting in a parking lot all afternoon, when driving home in EV, at some point the ICE came on, even though charge was about 50%.

Lucky us, even hotter today and very windy.

#16 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the codes and the hint on the extra OBD port.  I plugged in the cable to that port under the dashboard.  There was a metal tab there which I used to twist tie all the loops of extra cable so they won't tangle my feet.  Then I ran the cable behind the dashboard and was able to fish it out beneath the steering column.  There's a plastic piece there where it can also be twist tied to keep it out of trouble.  The gauge is on top of the steering column.  By far the cleanest ScanGauge setup I've done without removing any panels.

I ended up mounting a velcro strip and the SGII there also. The LED is protected from the sun like all the other gauges by the top overhang. I can do without the PRNDL lights because the eCVT will not shift into a gear like R or P while moving forward.

The 3 X-Gauges I monitor is SOC, battery temp and interior temp. My SOC does drop from 99% after a charge, but I think the battery fans bring it down a bit before the battery gets cooled down. I think the hottest my battery has gotten is 98Fso far. 

When the battery gets down to ~20%, I start a P&G till the CAT heats up for going EV again. At around 16%, the car will go EV for the glide after the Pulse. I head home or a place I can get a free L2 charge to make it back home. My lifetime regen braking is at 98% now, so I'm satisfied with that.

Gary

#17 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

My SOC does drop from 99% after a charge, but I think the battery fans bring it down a bit before the battery gets cooled down.

I had always seen it above 99%, but then I'd always come out at least a couple hours after it said it finished charging.  Yesterday I went out just after it finished.  The glow ring was off, and the Scangauge said 95%.  As I was monkeying with it, it started charging up again.  It looks like after the initial charge it cools off and "bounces" a few times and eventually settles close to full.

#18 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

I did some ICE driving yesterday and this morning and noticed a few more things.

The battery has a lot of thermal inertia.  Once you get it warm, it takes a long time to cool down if it's just sitting there - the fans don't run when you turn the car off. I parked it with a battery temp of 105 F and after shopping for quite a while it was still 105 when I got back.  Outside temp was about 90 F (it was under a shade).

Then I got back onto a 75 mph highway in EV mode.  The battery temperature went up rapidly.  At 111 and rising the ICE turned on.

18% SoC according to the ScanGauge is half full point of the "little battery".  My car seems very reluctant to let the charge drop below this level.  I thought  I'd seen it get well below half in the past but I haven't the last two days when I've been paying attention to it.

Before the C-Max Energi was released some people speculated that air cooling wouldn't provide adequate cooling for the battery pack.  And I think by the standards of a pure EV, the cooling is inadequate.  It can't dissipate heat as fast as the battery generates heat when driving in EV mode.  The battery temperature just keeps increasing, slowly if you're driving slowly on a cool day, rapidly if you're driving fast on a hot day.

But, they can get away with that because it's a plug-in hybrid with relatively short EV range.  Most of the time the battery will run out of charge before it gets too hot.  And for those times when it looks like it's going to get too hot, the ICE can kick in to take the load off.  I suspect we'll be seeing more of this as the heat of summer approaches.

#19 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

There was an SAE article mentioned earlier on these forums talking about hybrid vs. Energi battery packs.  I found it again, and it also talks about battery cooling and seems to match my hypothesis.  The all-electric Focus has to use active liquid cooling for its battery pack because it has no ICE to back it up.

http://ev.sae.org/article/11705

#20 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

There was an SAE article mentioned earlier on these forums talking about hybrid vs. Energi battery packs.  I found it again, and it also talks about battery cooling and seems to match my hypothesis.  The all-electric Focus has to use active liquid cooling for its battery pack because it has no ICE to back it up.

http://ev.sae.org/article/11705

That article was posted also on greenhybrid.com to answer a question I ask regarding an aux A/C on the energi on 5/4/13. I made my decision to buy an energy that day. As you can see, the article talks about the aux A/C on Escape Hybrids prior to 2010 and my concerns were about battery management with the new plug-in models. I've posted here that I run my cabin A/C 100% of the time at 72F, but since CarlD gave me those X-Gauge codes, I can keep an eye on battery temperature now. Also, I monitor Interior cabin temperature from those X-Gauge codes and I'm seeing the cabin doesn't cool down as much with the battery pulling cool air from the cabin. For this reason, I am setting the cabin A/C to a lower setting than 72F to see the effects of it cooling the battery down even more.

One reason I haven't had the engine start during EV mode is because my battery is cooler when I stop to charge it. I think you get problems with the engine starting after the battery exceeds 113F, but maybe someone here can confirm that now that we have a battery temperature x-gauge.

Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·