Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Dead battery

12v 12-volt battery discharge

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

Running down a battery by leaving the headlights on is a problem with every car and car user for the past 100 years, not just Ford and the C-Max.  I did test mine today and the warning chime is very soft, and could easily be missed if distracted when leaving the car.  User beware.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 17 August 2013 - 01:14 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

Note every car. I had a Subaru in the early 90's that was smart enough to turn off the headlights and parking lights when you turned the key to off, regardless of what the headlight switch was doing. When I bought my F-150 in 1995 I added two relays and some other parts into the instrument panel so it would do the same thing.

It's supposed to be the 21st century, there is no excuse for a car to run down the battery like that. If it happens to me I won't hesitate to fix Ford's design error like I did in the F-150.

#23 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Note every car. I had a Subaru in the early 90's that was smart enough to turn off the headlights and parking lights when you turned the key to off, regardless of what the headlight switch was doing. When I bought my F-150 in 1995 I added two relays and some other parts into the instrument panel so it would do the same thing.

It's supposed to be the 21st century, there is no excuse for a car to run down the battery like that. If it happens to me I won't hesitate to fix Ford's design error like I did in the F-150.

Those Japanese think of everything, but what if you wanted to leave the headlights on for something and turn the car off?  Think I prefer the American car way.  I think your clever relay mod would be much more difficult on the Energi.

#24 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

Those Japanese think of everything, but what if you wanted to leave the headlights on for something and turn the car off?  Think I prefer the American car way.  I think your clever relay mod would be much more difficult on the Energi.

I think there was a switch on the Subaru in the unlikely event you wanted to do that. I didn't bother with that on the F-150 and after 18 years I've never found a reason to have the headlights on without the key in at least the accessory position.

I subscribed to the service manual for a month and printed out most of the wiring diagrams and it looks very do-able. I rarely drive at night anymore and hopefully the "Automatic" headlight switch position will be good enough.

#25 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

Good idea on the service manual.  I use to buy them for every car I bought new, before the digital era.  Having it would certainly help in figuring out the C-Max.

• Retired1 likes this

#26 OFFLINE   CMAXGuy

CMAXGuy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDetroit
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

the CMAX has issues for sure - I've had 3 jump starts due to a dead battery and now that my car has been "fixed" I'm skeptical. I've been driving in pure EV mode for several days & just recorded a voltage of 11.2 volts from my lead acid battery... goes up to 12.4 in the morning after sitting on the charger & charging but heck - shouldn't it be like 12.6... 11.7 and below is considered discharged is it not? I suspect that if it were summer & I were able to drive in pure EV mode all the time like I was prior to the problems & "fix" I would be having the same troubles as before. Anyone out there taking voltage readings from their (supposed to be) 12 volt battery? I measured the voltage after shutting down the car & all lights turned off. I distinctly recall reading 10.8 volts on the mornings when i found my car dead as a door nail when it was unable to start.

• MarionSpyder NY likes this

#27 OFFLINE   thirtyeyes

thirtyeyes

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

After 3 months with the car, I found the 12 V battery had died.  I do not recall leaving anything open, on, or ajar, but I could have.  However, I think it is pretty bad programming for a car in 2013 to do this.  Now I am wondering if there was a glitch?  The software sure has enough of them.

#28 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

Hope I am not jinxing myself but we are less than 1 month away from our 1 year anniversary with the car. We never had any issues with the 12V battery.

#29 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:03 AM

After 3 months with the car, I found the 12 V battery had died. I do not recall leaving anything open, on, or ajar, but I could have. However, I think it is pretty bad programming for a car in 2013 to do this. Now I am wondering if there was a glitch? The software sure has enough of them.

There is a TSB for this.

#30 OFFLINE   marble

marble

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationcanada
  • Current Vehicle:c max energy

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

I have an c max energy 2013 and got the same problem: car was plug-in this morning and the battery was dead. can't unlock the door, no light,can't start,nothing.  Called the Ford car assistance, they came, boost the battery, eveything on again, even the battery's full.   I understand by your posting that I have to ask the dealer to do a TBS 13-5-1. Could you help me understand what a TBS 13-5-1 means?

Thanks

#31 OFFLINE   marble

marble

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:02 AM

oups I mean TSB

#32 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

I think TSB = Technical Service Bulletin.

#33 OFFLINE   marble

marble

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:38 PM

thanks

got it: technical bulletin service may 5th 2013  12 volt battery unable to hold charge.

is it normal that the technician change the battery (16 month old)??

isn't the reprogramming DC/DC converter should be enough??

#34 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:59 PM

If the battery died completely, it can suffer some damage and lose capacity.  If they change it for you so much the better, you reset the life clock back to day 1.

-=>Raja.

#35 OFFLINE   marble

marble

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:10 PM

thanks

#36 OFFLINE   marble

marble

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:48 AM

got to the dealer, he said he changed the battery . I asked : "that's all? nothing else?" and there is nothing else written on the bill. answer: "no, everything's working fine now". I then asked him about the TSB 13-5-1. He didn't  know about it. He went get someone else who told me the reprogramming has been done. It has to be done everytime they change the battery. Is that so or is he fooling me around? should I expect having a dead battery again?

#37 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:05 AM

Marble:

Power up the car with the OK button pressed on the left side of the steering.  Wait several seconds until you see ET in the left window.

Scroll down through all the options until you see the 12v battery voltage with the car powered on, what does it say?

-=>Raja.

• rhea likes this

#38 OFFLINE   marble

marble

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:29 AM

says battery :14.3V    compass: NE    last chime:1

#39 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:46 AM

Mine shows 14.1v right now, I've seen it as high as 14.3v.  For the record the TSB was never applied to my car and I don't think its necessary.  If you apply it, the charge voltage is raised to about 14.6-14.7v and basically they are charging the battery harder all the time.  I don't believe yours was applied and since your battery is new it may be starting out with a higher charge right now, see what happens in a few days, it might settle closer to 14v.  Anyway what does the TSB do?

a) it increases the SOC of the 12v battery making it last longer when using accessories before it dies.  Sometimes people leave things on or leave items plugged into the ports which may have been responsible for draining the 12v battery.

b) it decreases the life of the battery since its being charged harder all the time.

The 12v battery in this car doesn't need to do much (no engine cranking), all it needs to do is close the contacts to enable the HVB for you to drive off. 

I have not had any issues with my 12v battery dying except for once when I forgot the parking lights on in the winter time.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 12 May 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   marble

marble

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:16 AM

Thanks a lot Raja

I just hope I won't have another dead battery soon