Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Dead battery

12v 12-volt battery discharge

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lordryck

lordryck

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationconnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

Drove the C-Max to the grocery store and back yesterday morning. At 7pm I found the car completely dead. The 12-volt battery was completely discharged. I put the charger on it and the car came back to life and it was okay this morning. There are a HUGE number of posts on fordcmaxhybridforum.com about this problem. I'm going to have the dealer do TSB 13-5-1 which changes how the DC/DC charges the 12v battery. While there I'll also have them apply the TSB that fixes the "i need more than one kick to open the rear hatch" problem.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

I have not had the battery issue but I tried to get the dealer to apply the TSB as preventative measure. The dealers take, which is usually the same one I take, is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

They did apply the lift gate TSB and it definitely has worked first kick every time since.

Moral of story: If you want the TSB, without the possibility of the dealer pushing back, you need to tell them you experienced the problem.

• fwroberts likes this

#3 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

Sorry to hear of your dead battery, especially since it's in an Energi.  Do you know what the build date of yours was.  Without the DCDC charge rate fix, there is some risk with short trips it appears, but I think a 12v battery of sufficient capacity should be able to handle it.  In the case of the C-Max though, I'm thinking the battery capacity is just a bit too low.

#4 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi - 303A

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for the dealer tip Don. I'm in no rush, but will insist they apply all 3 TSBs when I go in.

Rick

#5 OFFLINE   Curleegirl

Curleegirl

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:Saab

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

I want this car. I went to a Ford dealership in Fairfield, CA, and EVERY SINGLE C-Max ENERGI ON THE LOT WAS DEAD. He couldn't open the hatch on any car in the lot. When I expressed my concern about this, he said someone was test driving them yesterday (ALL of them?) and must have left electricals on. Sounded fishy to me but I think I still want the car, figuring whatever the problem is, they're going to fix it. However, he failed to send me a comparison of lease v. purchase plus an offer for my trade-in, as promised, and he won't respond to my emails or phone calls. Who ever heard of a car salesman who doesn't want to sell a car??? What's going on here, do you think?

#6 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

I want this car. I went to a Ford dealership in Fairfield, CA, and EVERY SINGLE C-Max ENERGI ON THE LOT WAS DEAD. He couldn't open the hatch on any car in the lot. When I expressed my concern about this, he said someone was test driving them yesterday (ALL of them?) and must have left electricals on. Sounded fishy to me but I think I still want the car, figuring whatever the problem is, they're going to fix it. However, he failed to send me a comparison of lease v. purchase plus an offer for my trade-in, as promised, and he won't respond to my emails or phone calls. Who ever heard of a car salesman who doesn't want to sell a car??? What's going on here, do you think?

I think you happened upon a lying, incompetent salesman, who you should not use under any circumstances to buy a car.  There's nothing to be "left on" that could drain the battery.  It's likely they have not been driven enough to keep the battery charged, but rather short trips that resulted in a net drain on the batteries.  How many Energi's was that anyway?

BTW, opening the hatch requires the car to be unlocked or the key to be on the person opening it.  Could it be he was incompetent in assuring one or both of those were done too?

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 27 May 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Deermouse

Deermouse

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCoast
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Welcome Curleegirl!   I'm a new owner, and so far very happy with my purchase, as I think the vast majority of the folks on the forum are.

Regarding the dead batteries, AZenergi's remarks were right on.  In particular, the fact that ALL were "dead" suggests the problem was the salesman's in not knowing the proper procedure to open them, as AZenergi pointed out.

Regarding the salesman being unresponsive and apparently uninterested in selling the car - well as counter-intuitive as that seems, it was my experience as well.  I contacted about 7 dealers in my state, beyond my local dealer, and three did not even respond to emails and phone calls. At all. One other gave a ridiculously high price and would not budge even after I presented documentation of better prices and walked away. One other was slow to respond. The final two were helpful and reasonably knowledgeable and willing to negotiate.

There is a thread something like "do dealers want to sell these or not?"  I don't understand it, but there's a huge range in sales people and their interest in selling a car. As AZenergi noted, this salesman seems to be one to avoid for sure.

You might check in the regional section and other posts in buying to try to find what dealer in your area others have used and found reasonable.

Good luck!

#8 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

I want this car. I went to a Ford dealership in Fairfield, CA, and EVERY SINGLE C-Max ENERGI ON THE LOT WAS DEAD.

I see the Ford dealer in Fairfield may have 6-13 Energi's.  Did your salesman try to open the hatchs on all 13?

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 27 May 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

See my PM to you. Good luck!

#10 OFFLINE   mremelman

mremelman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi / 2004 Honda CRV / 1987 Chevy Suburban 6.5TD 3/4 ton 4x4

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

Curleegirl,

If you are still looking for a good sales person (integrity is important) I would like to suggest Dave Elkins at Fremont Ford. 

I would not hesitate to send my mom to him to buy a car.  As with any car purchase, you best friend is knowledge!

When my car showed up at the dealership (Special Order  X-Plan) Dave pointed out cosmetic flaws and made sure

they were fixed. If he doesn't know an answer to a question, there is no BS, he goes and finds the answer!

#11 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

I suspect 1-post Curleegirl was not a serious poster, and has little interest in the c-max.

#12 OFFLINE   rtshinn

rtshinn

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 285 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi 302a+Sunroof

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:06 AM

Well, my Energi was dead this morning. I ended up driving my truck to work.

The hatch won't even open. How can you get to the battery without opening the hatch?

#13 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:53 AM

There are battery charge points under the front hood, or a 12v source could be plugged into the rear outlet.

Good luck and let us know what caused it - if you ever find out.

#14 OFFLINE   rtshinn

rtshinn

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

Ok, I was too concerned about getting to work to give it much thought. I have a call in to the dealer, but I'll jump it when I get home.

This definitely looks like a very, very common problem from what I've read here and on the regular C-Max Hybrid Forum.

The bad news is this didn't show up until just now. I've had the car since Feb 2nd. That means whatever the failure mode is, it can occur at any time.

#15 OFFLINE   mikeb

mikeb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Ouch, sorry to hear that, rtshinn.

There is a TSB out there to change the software that controls how the 12v battery is charged. I'm surprised it was not part of our most recent set of updates for the MFT and liftgate. Ask the dealer to look it up.

But in general, we should all make sure we have some form of jumper cables or jumper battery onboard, given how people keep getting surprised by this.

#16 OFFLINE   rtshinn

rtshinn

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

I ordered one of those Stanley Simple Starter thingies that others have, from Amazon. Will keep it in the car.

#17 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

How do you like your Stanley Simple Starter?

My 12v battery died Saturday, called Ford Roadside Assistance but got a friend to jump the car before the assistance arrived.

I left the rear hatch open all day, I think it drained the battery. How nice of MFM to text me saying my 12v battery was dead. Would have been nicer to get a 30 minute warning...

Rick

• Retired1 likes this

#18 OFFLINE   TorontoEnergi

TorontoEnergi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationToronto
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:10 AM

I've had my Energi for only a week and found it dead when I went to start.  No power whatsover.  Called Ford assisted who boosted it and it started right away.  I dropped by the dealer and they said I might have left the lights in the always on position.  It is possible.  Would have thought that it would have turned off on its own after some time but perhaps not.  Will monitor and see how it goes.

• nyceme likes this

#19 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

Headlights do turn off on their own...when the 12v battery dies. ;-)

Rick

#20 OFFLINE   PJFW8

PJFW8

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energy

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

I've had my Energi for only a week and found it dead when I went to start.  No power whatsover.  Called Ford assisted who boosted it and it started right away.  I dropped by the dealer and they said I might have left the lights in the always on position.  It is possible.  Would have thought that it would have turned off on its own after some time but perhaps not.  Will monitor and see how it goes.

How often did you run down your 12volt battery on you last car? Probably never. This is a problem with 2013 Ford Hybrids and Energy models. It is not "operator error". Your dealer should know better. Even my Ford dispatched tow truck driver was familiar with the problem. There is a circuit drain (one or more). I am confident Ford is working on a fix! Blaming the customer is unfair! I test my battery frequently. The voltage is typically bellow standard after a couple of hours after a drive. There is often a significant drop overnight (11.9 - 12.3 range. The concern starts bellow 12.4). It's not you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·