Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Odd high pitch noise from behind right rear seat

noise cooling fans bearing noise

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Deermouse

Deermouse

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCoast
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

So the metallic vibration/rattle sound from behind the right rear seat area turned out to be a DC/DC module under the high voltage battery. According to the technician, it's the coin fins on the module making the noise. On very smooth roads, there was no noise, but on any other (most) pavement, the sound was always present.  Not terribly loud, but noticeable.

I only brought it in because the check engine light would not go off. The CEL was a new thing, the noise had been there almost since we first got the car. But since it wasn't too awful, I just lived with it as a slight annoyance. Fortunately, unlike what happens often, the tech heard the sound when he took it out for a test drive.

Apparently it was a big production just getting to the module and isolating it as the source of the noise. Then they had to contact Ford, run some tests, and now they have the go ahead to replace the module. 7-10 days estimated time for arrival of part, then probably another full day to install and put everything back together.  In rental car in the meantime.

Hoping all the parts go back together good as new when they finally get it repaired. So far the service has been courteous, helpful, and professional.

So, if you hear a slight, kind of tinny vibration/rattle (hard to describe precisely) from behind the back seat most of the time, it could be more than just something that's a little loose.  Might be good to have it checked out.

Will update when part gets replaced.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

I have it too...seems to come and go when the a/c is engaged

Do you still have the problem?  Probably not the same issue since the a/c seems to quiet the noise for a few minutes.  The car is going back to the dealer on Wednesday for the safety recall.  Hopefully they can better pinpoint the problem.   

#23 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

So the metallic vibration/rattle sound from behind the right rear seat area turned out to be a DC/DC module under the high voltage battery. According to the technician, it's the coin fins on the module making the noise. On very smooth roads, there was no noise, but on any other (most) pavement, the sound was always present.  Not terribly loud, but noticeable.

I only brought it in because the check engine light would not go off. The CEL was a new thing, the noise had been there almost since we first got the car. But since it wasn't too awful, I just lived with it as a slight annoyance. Fortunately, unlike what happens often, the tech heard the sound when he took it out for a test drive.

Apparently it was a big production just getting to the module and isolating it as the source of the noise. Then they had to contact Ford, run some tests, and now they have the go ahead to replace the module. 7-10 days estimated time for arrival of part, then probably another full day to install and put everything back together.  In rental car in the meantime.

Hoping all the parts go back together good as new when they finally get it repaired. So far the service has been courteous, helpful, and professional.

So, if you hear a slight, kind of tinny vibration/rattle (hard to describe precisely) from behind the back seat most of the time, it could be more than just something that's a little loose.  Might be good to have it checked out.

Will update when part gets replaced.

I suspect the source is something in the electronics.  I have a newer LG HD TV at home that puts out a high pitch noise that is probably coming from the power supply.  Fortunately it isn't as annoying as the noise in the car. 

#24 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

I suspect the source is something in the electronics.  I have a newer LG HD TV at home that puts out a high pitch noise that is probably coming from the power supply.  Fortunately it isn't as annoying as the noise in the car. 

Modern DC/DC power supplies operate well above the range of human hearing, sometimes into the mega-hertz range. However, if there is anything loose it's possible for parts to vibrate at some fraction of the operating frequency, causing noise within the range of human hearing. This can be something as simple as a loose screw.

#25 OFFLINE   Deermouse

Deermouse

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCoast

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

Update on DC/DC module noise. 

Still waiting for part. Very annoying.  They're busy making cars with these parts right in MI - why can't they just overnight one of them to my dealer?

Anyway, the coin fins (for cooling) apparently were not firmly attached, loose enough to vibrate, perhaps touching each other on most road surfaces. Since the noise has been going on since day one, must have been a faulty part from the start. Not causing any problems now, but over the long haul could result in failure of the module ( according to tech).

One other Cmax (not sure if it's hybrid or Energi) has been reported to Ford with this issue.  That tech tried to use caulking to stabilize the fins and stop the noise.  Not exactly standard protocol.  Ford directed that the module be replaced - there is no repair that can be done on the module to stop the problem.

So now I'm just waiting to get my little car back.  I miss it.

On the bright side, I'm glad the tech could actually find the source of the noise.  Looking forward to a whisper quiet ride.

#26 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

I drove my Energi this morning about 50 miles but still wasn't able to get the noise to appear for the tech.  It was overcast, and a bit cooler this morning than normal.  We notice the noise more on warmer days. However, after showing him the video clip I filmed he figured that it was probably the DC-DC converter.  Later, he was able to recreate the noise by cranking up the heat, the A/C and a few other things.  Hopefully Ford will approve and send him the parts he needs. 

#27 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

Update on noise:  Apparently in my case they don't need to replace any parts, but only dampen the cooling fins somehow (with foam?).  Hopefully I will be able to talk to the actual tech again to find out exactly what he did.  In the meantime, still waiting for the fuel door to be replaced before picking up the car. 

#28 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

Update on noise:  Apparently in my case they don't need to replace any parts, but only dampen the cooling fins somehow (with foam?).  Hopefully I will be able to talk to the actual tech again to find out exactly what he did.  In the meantime, still waiting for the fuel door to be replaced before picking up the car. 

If they cover the cooling fins, they've just disabled it's ability to cool. I would be concerned it could over heat

the component or even worse, cause it to catch fire. Covering the cooling fins is a bad idea :doh:

#29 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

On the other hand if they used thermal epoxy to prevent a lose fin from vibrating they improved the thermal effectiveness of the fin. It definitely would be a good idea to get a better understanding of the "repair" they performed.

#30 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

On the other hand if they used thermal epoxy to prevent a lose fin from vibrating they improved the thermal effectiveness of the fin. It definitely would be a good idea to get a better understanding of the "repair" they performed.

The OP mentioned "FOAM" and that scares me :doh:

I can hear em now. Let's just use some foam to insulate the noise :banghead:

Edited by drdiesel1, 28 August 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#31 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Yup foam would not be a good idea (especially non thermal foam that can outgas toxic fumes when heated up) but I read it as being just a guess.

#32 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

Yup foam would not be a good idea (especially non thermal foam that can outgas toxic fumes when heated up) but I read it as being just a guess.

That's the scary part.

He needs to know what they did and what they used to do it with, before driving off and burning something up.

Edited by drdiesel1, 28 August 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#33 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

That's the scary part.

He needs to know what they did and what they used to do it with, before driving off and burning something up.

Definitely. Application of foam could definitely cause big problems including combustion.

67gtcougar you definitely need to check it out and, I agree, don't drive the car if you suspect foam was used on the fins.

#34 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

I was talking to the service rep and not the tech, so anything is possible.  I thought I heard him say foam.  I think the airport uses foam to put out fires.  :)  Now they tell me that the fuel door assembly didn't fit that they ordered, and there is no other part number that they can find for it.  The car could be there until next week.  In the meantime, we are burning up lots of gas driving around our old minivan. 

#35 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

I was talking to the service rep and not the tech, so anything is possible.  I thought I heard him say foam.  I think the airport uses foam to put out fires.  :)  Now they tell me that the fuel door assembly didn't fit that they ordered, and there is no other part number that they can find for it.  The car could be there until next week.  In the meantime, we are burning up lots of gas driving around our old minivan. 

This really worries me. They sound quit incompetent :drop:

#36 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

I was finally able to track down the mechanic yesterday afternoon.  He said that he could recreate the noise just by running the DC-DC converter cooling fan above 1500 rpm, and the only way to stop the noise was to add strips of foam to part of the outside heat sink near the air inlet.  This fix came from Ford tech hotline.  He also assured me that the foam was not placed were it would impede the cooling of the converter.  I will keep you posted.

#37 OFFLINE   rpvdad

rpvdad

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:20 PM

GT67cougar -- you still on this forum? Did this fix stand the test of time? I've got a 2017 Energi and it whistles in the trunk once the battery is mostly depleted. Sort of sounds similar to what's described in this thread.

#38 OFFLINE   redwagon

redwagon

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:17 PM

I am having the same issue as GT67cougar.  Anyone else resolve this issue?

#39 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

I'm back...  The repair is still working.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noise, cooling fans, bearing noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·