Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Odd high pitch noise from behind right rear seat

noise cooling fans bearing noise

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSeattle
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

I like to know how many Energi owners have noticed any strange sounds coming from the right rear of the car.  We have a high pitch squeal that starts up below 20 MPH, then stays steady (same pitch) until somewhere around 35, where it seems to change pitch.  When we slow down it drops out at about 10 MPH.  We were driving home on battery this evening and it behaved the same way all the way home.  Yesterday we drove about 45 miles, partially in EVonly (obviously), and had to deal with the high pitch sound most of the way.  Strangely, we didn't seem to notice it on the way home this morning.  So the noise seems to come and go.  I have seen other posts about noise, but none seem to be as annoying as what we are experiencing.  We had the car at the dealer for the 12 Volt battery issue only a few days ago, so wished we had told them about it then.  At first I suspected the noise cancellation system, since turning up the radio doesn't seem to cover it up.  It also reminds me of the wind noise on the Cougar wing windows at higher speeds.   

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   caremd99

caremd99

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 cmax energi

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

I have it too...seems to come and go when the a/c is engaged

#3 OFFLINE   Valkraider

Valkraider

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

I don't have that but we have a clicking, almost sounds like popcorn popping, right behind te left rear seat. Didn't know it until I spent a few hours sitting there while other people drove the car...

#4 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 300A

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

I don't get any of that but I just started hearing a noise like a mid speed fan with a wonky bearing whenever the engine runs. Doesn't change pitch with revs. Odd...
  • caremd99 likes this

#5 OFFLINE   techkraut

techkraut

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

I don't have that but we have a clicking, almost sounds like popcorn popping, right behind te left rear seat. Didn't know it until I spent a few hours sitting there while other people drove the car...

had same issue.  My car had missing screws in right rear inner fender liner.  Fixed it.

#6 OFFLINE   techkraut

techkraut

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

I don't get any of that but I just started hearing a noise like a mid speed fan with a wonky bearing whenever the engine runs. Doesn't change pitch with revs. Odd...

electric AC compressor?

#7 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

electric AC compressor?

Wasn't running. It doesn't appear to be from the front of the car. And it's only when the engine kicks in. Not very loud at all, but I definitely didn't notice it before. It's not to the level where I'd get the dealer at it.

#8 OFFLINE   Deermouse

Deermouse

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCoast

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

I like to know how many Energi owners have noticed any strange sounds coming from the right rear of the car.  We have a high pitch squeal that starts up below 20 MPH, then stays steady (same pitch) until somewhere around 35, where it seems to change pitch. 

Don't have that noise (sounds awful - hope the service guys at your dealer can eventually get it figured out - really ruins the peace and quiet of an EV).

We have a sound sort of like a muffled metallic rattle/vibration coming from behind the right rear seat.  Hard to describe. Just happens on certain stretches of pavement and not very loud.

Even that fairly subtle sound is irritating - can't imagine how irritating the high pitch squeal must be.

#9 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

Don't have that noise (sounds awful - hope the service guys at your dealer can eventually get it figured out - really ruins the peace and quiet of an EV).

We have a sound sort of like a muffled metallic rattle/vibration coming from behind the right rear seat.  Hard to describe. Just happens on certain stretches of pavement and not very loud.

Even that fairly subtle sound is irritating - can't imagine how irritating the high pitch squeal must be.

'Haven't brought it in to the dealer for this issue yet.  A trip to the dealer is usually more painful than putting up with the irritation. 

#10 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 299 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

I have a similar sound. Now my noise only happens when engine first kicks on and only when its hot outside like 85+. otherwise I dont hear it. If its warm out everytime the engine comes on for the first few seconds I hear this sound. Just started a few weeks ago. I have just reached 1000 miles on the ICE. 

#11 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

That description could be the classic 'exhaust heat shield' sound.  Heat shield may need to be bent a bit to clear some object.

I drove today with the ICE on for the first time in 3 weeks; not used to hearing it so it seemed louder than I remember.  But after a while I got used to it.  The car got about 46 mpg in mixed city-highway driving for a 30 mile round trip, so I'm pleased.

• Deermouse likes this

#12 OFFLINE   Deermouse

Deermouse

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCoast

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the tip dr61.  I'll have the dealer check it out when I go in for future maintenance or repair.

#13 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

I rode around in the backseat today to try and pinpoint the origin of the noise.  I pulled off the cover just behind the right rear seat, and used a rubber hose to find out that it was definitely coming from inside the cover area near where the high voltage wires attach to the battery.  The noise only occurs when the car is moving.  It doesn't matter if the motor is loaded or we are coasting down a hill.   It sounds the same.  It is definitely louder about 35 mph.  One time I even filmed from the side of the road as my wife drove by and even then I thought I could here the same pitch coming from the car.  Could it be a bearing noise?

Update:  We have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow.  In the meantime, I asked my wife to try hitting the brakes a bit harder to see if that affects the noise any.  It could also be coming from the right-rear brake.  We hardly use the brakes, since the motor/generator does the braking. 

Edited by 67gtcougar, 17 June 2013 - 08:26 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   cmaxmd

cmaxmd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

I hear a high pitched sound with the windows down that seems to come from the right mirror.  It could also be an artifact of the active noise cancellation.  I haven't yet pulled its fuse to test that theory.  I don't hear it when windows are up, but need to borrow an a kid who hears high pitched sounds better (you lose your high pitched sensitivity as you get older).  It peaks at about 35mph like yours.

#15 OFFLINE   caremd99

caremd99

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

#16 OFFLINE   caremd99

caremd99

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Sounds like my situation...took car to dealer for the firmware upgrade and asked them to look at this....they said it is the fuel pump...I get the car back next week.

#17 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Sounds like my situation...took car to dealer for the firmware upgrade and asked them to look at this....they said it is the fuel pump...I get the car back next week.

Interesting. Please do report back if that fixed it. I don't notice it most of the time and otherwise the car runs very well, so I'll wait for the first service (probably a year away...). Thanks! 

#18 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

We found a workaround for the most of the high pitch squeal we are dealing with.  If we run the AC, the noise almost vanishes for about 6 minutes, then comes back.  We cycle the AC off and on every time it comes back.  Unfortunately, that method doesn't work if AC isn't needed.  When I tried to turn the AC back off again, the noise came right back.  When we get back home from our Southwest vacation we will send it back to the Ford Dealer.

#19 OFFLINE   caremd99

caremd99

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

i have had it back for a week and no noise now...it was the fuel pump

#20 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 299 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

Mine is in as we speak. The service adviser did not sound at all surprised when I explained what i thought the sound was and where it was coming from. I have a feeling Ford is quite aware of this but is not saying anything about it. I smell a TSB in the works. lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noise, cooling fans, bearing noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·