Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

HID's n LEDs

leds hids

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cheekygrin73

Cheekygrin73

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationBay Area
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi SEL

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Dear All,

Anyone recommend any HID kits for a stock swap? I am liking the fact that a 30-35w draw would extend battery life at night versus the stock old bulb set.

Also - what are the bulb parts - am looking to replace the rear bulbs with LED screw in like for like replacements (done to good effect in all my other cars) and also replace the side lights in the front light group.

Does someone have a list of the ye olde incandescent bulb types, so I can go to amazon or superbrightleds.com or whatever?

Cheers all :)

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   smangerer

smangerer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C max energi

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

I recommend checking the "new content" for hot topics.

In regards to your topic... 

http://fordcmaxenerg...it-from-europe/

Edited by smangerer, 16 April 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   mikeb

mikeb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:53 AM

As smangerer said, there's a nice thread about HID, the assembly is from the 2010 european c-max. Nothing else is on the market yet, as far as I can tell.

The list of bulb types is in the owners manual, there's a number of variations. Once you find the bulb type, then most of the usual LED suppliers will be able to provide a matching fixture.

A couple notes: most LED replacement bulbs have a different illumination pattern than the incandescent they replace. Since they are illuminating a reflector assembly, the resulting light pattern on the road is changed. Automotive lighting experts say that the results are both illegal and unsafe. There's lots of subtle ways that this doesn't work right, so even if the replacement seems bright enough, it might not be bright enough to the side, or the difference in brightness between brake and tail isn't big enough to be noticeable, etc. That said, I've done a few replacements on my motorcycles and the results seem ok, so go ahead and experiment if you want.

Second, if you replace the turn signals with LEDs, you'll get a hyperflash if you don't install a load resistor. More experimentation is needed here.

#4 OFFLINE   Cheekygrin73

Cheekygrin73

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBay Area
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi SEL

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the heads up - I am not interested in buying the complete European headlight assembly (which is not correctly plumbed and wired for US cars in any case). I am merely interested in replacing the bulb (with an HID bulb) and finding a home for the ballast.

Will explore this with a cheapo kit (they are not expensive!) and report back how effective they are.

Re - light bulbs - understood about the flashers - I am not bothered to replace the incandescent yellow indicator bulbs - the objective for me is the bulbs which are on all the time - i.e. brake lights and side lights - the objective is after all, to be more efficient and save those electrons...

Cheers all.

I recommend checking the "new content" for hot topics.

In regards to your topic... 

http://fordcmaxenerg...it-from-europe/

• DrEd likes this

#5 OFFLINE   mikeb

mikeb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Putting an HID bulb in a non-HID reflector is illegal and dangerous. The light pattern won't be right, you'll be creating dangerous glare in other people's eyes and thus risking injury or death. Use a properly designed bulb assembly for HID, or just use a high quality halogen bulb. I've got a nice pair of Osram NightBreaker Plus in the correct size installed, they are a reasonable improvement over stock bulbs.

• honemch likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·