Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel door won't close

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   outerdog

outerdog

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCupertino, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

Raja, it's been years since I was in Oregon.  But last time I was there, drivers were not allowed to pump their own gas.  In that state, each station had to hire attendants to do the job.  So, yeah, I guess there are states in which a driver might not be allowed to pump his own gas.  And there might be states in which a driver can still find an attendant to do the job for him if that is what he prefers.  However, I've always pumped my own gas for this car.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   campngolf

campngolf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNorCal
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:10 PM

As of earlier this year, Oregon still does not allow you to pump your own gas. Not a big deal when driving an 8 yr old vehicle, but if I take the NRG up there I may have to get out and observe/instruct the attendant.

#23 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

Oregon uses this as a way to create jobs.

#24 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:32 PM

"Oregon uses this as a way to create jobs."

Daddy, when I grow up I want to be a gas pumper!

-=>Raja.

#25 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:06 PM

"Oregon uses this as a way to create jobs."

Daddy, when I grow up I want to be a gas pumper!

-=>Raja.

It's a job in a bad economy and better than welfare. Don't make fun of people, it's unbecoming and childish.

#26 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

Don — yes, I agree that it could be a faulty sensor.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to reproduce the problem.  If it's a faulty sensor, then perhaps it's failing and will eventually stop working altogether.  Then I would have something to show the mechanic.

Raja, we pump our own gas here in California.  

I will be driving to Sequoia National Park soon.  I'll have to put gas in the tank for the trip.  I'll be curious to see if the problem recurs.

Let us know how your trip goes, outerdog. If this happens again, reach out to me and I'll see what I can do to help. :)

Crystal

• outerdog likes this

#27 OFFLINE   outerdog

outerdog

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationCupertino, CA

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

Crystal, we're back from the parks.  Good time of year to go, by the way.  Very few people on the trails now.

We put gas in the car twice — first filling up here in Cupertino, then adding four gallons in the parks.  On both occasions, the fuel-hatch door would not stay closed until my wife and I implemented the work-around with which we are pretty familiar now — namely, I hold the door closed while she hits the fuel-hatch open button in the car.  

And so, the fuel-hatch door has failed to stay shut the last three times we gassed up.  In a way, I was pleased — thinking that now, at least, the problem seems reproducible and is a problem that I can take to a mechanic.  But this morning (just a few minutes ago), I popped the fuel-hatch door open in order to confirm that the problem is, indeed, reproducible.  It was not.  I was able to shut the door without having to resort to the work-around that I've described.  Of course, I didn't put gas in the tank this time, and that's a difference — though I don't think that should matter if the fuel-hatch door sensor is the problem.  If a mechanic can't reproduce the problem, then I don't know what he can do to fix it.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if this is a problem that Ford knows about and understands, then you might be able to tell one of my local Ford dealer's, Crystal, what it is that he needs to do to fix this for me.

#28 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• 261 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:39 AM

...And so, the fuel-hatch door has failed to stay shut the last three times we gassed up.  In a way, I was pleased — thinking that now, at least, the problem seems reproducible and is a problem that I can take to a mechanic.  But this morning (just a few minutes ago), I popped the fuel-hatch door open in order to confirm that the problem is, indeed, reproducible.  It was not...

Hi outerdog,

Sounds like a great trip aside from the frustration of the fuel door. I received your PM and responded with some suggestions about next steps. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Crystal

#29 OFFLINE   outerdog

outerdog

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationCupertino, CA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

Put gas in the car today — first time since the trip to Kings Canyon in early September.  The fuel door will not close again.  This time I'm leaving it open and will take the car ASAP to a Ford dealer.  Crystal, can you help me with this?

Here's a question.  I've noticed that if I drive around with the fuel door open, as I'm doing now until I can get the car to a dealer, the service-engine light comes on and stays on.  Why is that?  It doesn't seem to me that an open fuel door is a condition that requires urgent attention.

It appears that forum member Brian Hopkins (See "A little pissed at dealer service") has also had trouble getting the fuel door to lock shut.  Brian says that his dealer fixed the problem (at the same time creating another problem for Brian).  I would love to know how Brian's dealer fixed the fuel door lock problem.  "The truth is out there."

Edited by outerdog, 30 October 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• 261 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

Put gas in the car today — first time since the trip to Kings Canyon in early September.  The fuel door will not close again.  This time I'm leaving it open and will take the car ASAP to a Ford dealer.  Crystal, can you help me with this?

Here's a question.  I've noticed that if I drive around with the fuel door open, as I'm doing now until I can get the car to a dealer, the service-engine light comes on and stays on.  Why is that?  It doesn't seem to me that an open fuel door is a condition that requires urgent attention.

It appears that forum member Brian Hopkins (See "A little pissed at dealer service") has also had trouble getting the fuel door to lock shut.  Brian says that his dealer fixed the problem (at the same time creating another problem for Brian).  I would love to know how Brian's dealer fixed the fuel door lock problem.  "The truth is out there."

Rachel here; I've taken over for Crystal on this forum. :)

That's great that you haven't had to get gas since your Kings Canyon trip!  Getting gas can be a challenging experience if the door will not close. I've responded to your PM and will continue to keep an eye out for the info. 

Thanks for looping me in about Brian's post; I'll check it out. 

Rachel

#31 OFFLINE   outerdog

outerdog

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationCupertino, CA

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:36 PM

I've scheduled an appointment with the service department at The Ford Store Morgan Hill.  I'll take the car over there next Monday to see if they can figure this out.  I'll be interested to see if Don was right about a failed sensor being the problem.  Stay tuned.

I put gas in the car in order to make the trip to the dealer in Morgan Hill.  Experienced something new when I did that.  Each time I put the pump nozzle in the car, the pump quickly shut off.  This happened to me maybe six times before I was able to pump three gallons.  I looked at the C-MAX Energi user manual and realized that this had happened because the tank had not been depressurized — despite the fact that I had pushed the open-fuel-door button in the car.  Of course, the door had already been open, since it won't close now.  The firmware in this car is really confused.

Edited by outerdog, 29 November 2014 - 09:48 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   outerdog

outerdog

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationCupertino, CA

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

I dropped the car off this morning.  I spoke to a mechanic about the problem.  I am a little concerned about his analysis of the problem.  He seemed to think that it was a simple mechanical problem with the latch.  I disagree.  I told him that the latch can be made to secure the fuel door if a work-around is employed.  The work-around is this:  one person holds the fuel door closed while the other presses the open-fuel-door button inside the car.  When this trick is employed, the latch will open and close several time, eventually closing to secure the fuel door.  Forum member Don has suggested that the problem might be a failing or failed sensor that should detect whether the door is open or closed.  That sounds right to me.  It seems that the firmware doesn't always know what state the door is in — open or closed.  There was a time when a fuel door was a simple mechanical affair.  Opening the fuel door on the C-MAX Energi, though, involves depressurizing the tank before the door is popped open to allow the user access to the tank.  If gas is not introduced within 20 minutes then the tank is repressurized.  A mechanic now has to understand the algorithm used to allow user access to the tank and to depressurize and repressurize the tank.  He has to appreciate that there are sensors involved that detect the open or closed state of the door.  I hope that Ford has ensured that its dealers have mechanics whose training enables them to understand the more sophisticated engineering (hardware and software) that go into Ford vehicles these days.

#33 OFFLINE   outerdog

outerdog

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationCupertino, CA

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:31 PM

Monday

The mechanics at the Ford Store have express-ordered a solenoid and motor, they tell me.  Since my work-around for closing the fuel door (described above) seemed reliably to activate the electronics in order to latch the fuel door, I am wondering how a new solenoid and motor will fix the problem.

Wednesday

Another call from the Ford Store.  The solenoid and motor arrived but don't fix the problem.  Now they will order the fuel neck assembly, but that part won't arrive until Friday.

Second Monday

Ford Store called to say that fuel door has been fixed.  It will latch shut now.  The mechanics scratched the paint on the fuel door and on the panel surrounding the fuel door.  Apologies from the Ford Store.  I can live with that if the touch-up is done well.  Because I failed to tell the service rep about the problem with the pressurized tank (I told the mechanic, but not the service rep), this problem got dropped.  The repair to the fuel door may have fixed this problem, too, but the mechanics will have to verify that.

Second Wednesday

Ford Store called to say that car was ready for pickup.  Fuel door appears to be fixed.  Mechanic was not able to reproduce pressure problem.  Scratches were touched up.  Car is still under warranty, and so repair was done at no expense to me.

Edited by outerdog, 03 December 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   outerdog

outerdog

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationCupertino, CA

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:37 AM

*** FIXED! ***

But precisely what caused the problem remains unknown.

Ford Store Morgan Hill called this morning to say that the car was ready for pickup.  I talked to the mechanic, MIke, and asked him what the problem was.  He says he doesn't know.  He simply replaced the entire fuel-door assembly.  The fuel door will now latch shut as it's supposed to.  He was not able to reproduce the pressure problem.  And so I'll just hope that the pressure problem, too, got fixed when Mike replaced the fuel-door assembly.

As for the scratches on fuel door and panel — I can see where the panel was scratched, but barely.  I can't see anything on the fuel door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·