Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel door won't close

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   OhioEnergi1

OhioEnergi1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCleveland
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax energi

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Has anyone had trouble getting the fuel door to close? We couldn't get the fuel door to close after fueling. Finally, after holding it shut while someone hit the fuel button again and letting it cycle through 4 sets of clicking sounds, it locked shut. Happened 2 times over the weekend on a road trip. After the last fuel-up with this fuel door problem, the engine warning light/icon came on, but there's no indication on MyFord Touch or MyFord Mobile to tell me what the problem is.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Deermouse

Deermouse

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCoast
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Don't have any experience to answer your question, Ohio, but I have a related question maybe someone who actually has their car :) can answer.

I live in a state where you can't pump your own gas.  I was reading the owner's manual, and it seems like refueling is not as simple an operation as most cars. I'm imaging having to get out and demonstrate the correct technique for the attendant.  Is this likely to be an issue?

Also wondering if anyone has had the warning light come on after refueling that the manual refers to, and had to use the provided funnel to get it to operate properly as the manual describes - what's up with a funnel anyway?

#3 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Deermouse, it's very simple. Just push the button on the center console. The fuel door opens. You push the nozzle into the hole, fuel, remove nozzle, and close door. All new fords have the same capless fueling nozzle.

#4 OFFLINE   OhioEnergi1

OhioEnergi1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCleveland
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax energi

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

It's actually easy to fill up. You just push the gas door release button on the center console, and the door pops one in a couple of seconds. Gas pump fits like any conventional car.
Good news. The car has been at the dealer for a couple of days. I understand the door problem was fixed by re-flashing the system. They're still working on the engine warning light. Ford has been responsive.

#5 OFFLINE   Deermouse

Deermouse

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCoast

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

Good to hear it's simple. Some other folks reported problems and the thing in the manual about using a funnel to deal with an error message had me wondering.

Simple is good.

#6 OFFLINE   ronhampton

ronhampton

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationSeffner FL
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Edge

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

I hope I don't have any issues when I do my first fill up. Had the Energi for 3 months today and still have a 1/4 tank of gas remaining. I have 1300 miles on it. Mileage was 130 at 2 months but after some road travel it is down to 100.8.
  • dr61 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   peterwx

peterwx

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationblank
  • Current Vehicle:blank

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

Deleted - Removing all my content after mods deleted some contributions in the interest of commercial/promotional and financial gain.

Edited by peterwx, 18 August 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, '02 Prius, '00 Town & Country

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

You guys are making me jeolous. My car is really burning gas. I have to fill up almost once a month.
  • Retired1 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   jmfernald

jmfernald

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationAlbuquerque
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

I got in MAX this morning and immediately got a message that the fuel door was open, which it was not.  There was a check engine light on, a dinging sound, a wrench light, a close fuel door alert and the car would not start or shift out of park.  I turned everything off and retried.  Same thing.  I called the dealer and they are looking into it.  I checked the manual and learned about the emergency fuel door release.  I found that.  It is a little green pull knob.  Pulling it released the fuel door.  Now the door is open.  Pushing the little green knob back in did not engage the fuel door, so it is now open and won't close. 

I am not going anywhere till the dealer figures this out and gets someone over here, unless one of you has an answer.

Edited by jmfernald, 13 May 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

I got in MAX this morning and immediately got a message that the fuel door was open, which it was not. There was a check engine light on, a dinging sound, a wrench light, a close fuel door alert and the car would not start or shift out of park. I turned everything off and retried. Same thing. I called the dealer and they are looking into it. I checked the manual and learned about the emergency fuel door release. I found that. It is a little green pull knob. Pulling it released the fuel door. Now the door is open. Pushing the little green knob back in did not engage the fuel door, so it is now open and won't close.

I am not going anywhere till the dealer figures this out and gets someone over here, unless one of you has an answer.

Sounds like this is your problem...

http://fordcmaxenerg...ealer#entry7022

#11 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi - 303A

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for the link honemch, I didn't realize shorttrack was having so much trouble. Sounds like his car is back on the road now though.

Rick

#12 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

I had the fuel door problem today when I filled up at a station in Northern California.  I had my wife press the door release button as I held it closed and it finally latched.  The next time we filled up, we didn't have the problem.

#13 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

We are now driving around without a fuel door or even the housing while the dealer waits for the correct parts to arrive.  They finally received the door housing on Monday, but it didn't fit.  Now it is on order (3-5 business days).  I cut out a piece of plastic and used duct tape to patch it up for now (Red Green trick).  My wife isn't very happy about it, and uses every excuse to avoid driving it.  Fortunately, they did fix the high-pitch noise coming from the DC-DC converter, but broke the middle seat belt when trying to put the seat back in.  Hopefully the seat belt arrives at the same time as the correct fuel door housing.   

#14 OFFLINE   outerdog

outerdog

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationCupertino, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

With our 2013 C-MAX Energi, we've experienced this problem three times now.  Twice, we fixed the problem by having one person hold the fuel-hatch door shut while the other pressed the hatch-door button inside the car.  The third time this happened, our technique for closing the door didn't work.  My wife sat in the car and pushed the button while I stood outside holding the fuel-hatch door shut.  We tried this four or five times before giving up.  I started the car up and drove out of the gas station with the fuel-hatch door open, then noticed a warning on the console telling me to close the fuel-hatch door.  I hit OK to close the warning window, then pulled over to try again to close the fuel-hatch door.  This time, simply closing the fuel-hatch door worked.  Wasn't necessary to punch the fuel-hatch door button.  Mysterious.

Long and short of this is that (1) I don't know what causes the problem and (2) I don't yet have a fool-proof method to close the door.  I still don't have a handle on this problem.  This is certainly a software problem that should be fixable.

I had my sister in the car when the problem occurred this last time.  She's looking for a new car to buy.  I had been touting the C-MAX Energi, but when she witnessed the spectacle of my wife and me trying to close the fuel-hatch door, I think that pretty much took the C-MAX Energi off her list.

Edited by outerdog, 30 August 2014 - 11:26 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

I am a bit doubtful it is a software issue since we all have the same code and only a few have this issue (we never had this problem). While it is remotely possible you have some corrupt code I would think the more likely culprit is sensor/latch hardware related.

#16 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

Lube it with white lithium spray grease. The latch is just dry and sticking in the open position.

I just never us that old technology and just plug my car in :hysterical:

Edited by drdiesel1, 30 August 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:19 AM

I wonder if it was damaged in any way by gas station attendants trying to tap on the door or pry it to get it open?  I always have to said wait for it I'm opening it now but they seem to have no clue about an automatic door that seems just like a manual tap or pry open one.

I try to pump my own fuel when possible as I don't like the spills or the roughness of the attendant's operations.  Not always possible sometimes in NJ for example you're not allowed to pump your own gas.

-=>Raja.

#18 OFFLINE   SSE

SSE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 255 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationOutside Atlanta GA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

Wow, not allowed to pump your own gas? I can count on one hand the stations I know in this area that offer full service. How was it during the last gas shortage after that  oil rig explosion?

#19 OFFLINE   outerdog

outerdog

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationCupertino, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

Don — yes, I agree that it could be a faulty sensor.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to reproduce the problem.  If it's a faulty sensor, then perhaps it's failing and will eventually stop working altogether.  Then I would have something to show the mechanic.

Raja, we pump our own gas here in California.  

I will be driving to Sequoia National Park soon.  I'll have to put gas in the tank for the trip.  I'll be curious to see if the problem recurs.

#20 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

NJ has some funky rules going on there.  The attendants don't want you to handle the pumps there.  One time I had a container in the back of the car I wanted to fill, the guy told me it was illegal to carry a container on the turnpike, huh?  

Luckily I don't live there, just pass through but always get gas there as its cheaper than other places.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·