Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Hitches CURT 1 1/4" or TorkLIFT 2"

? hitch information hitch user beta hitch pictures

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 419 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Thanks!

Am I correct in thinking that since the basket weighs 32 pounds, and the 2" receiver is rated to carry 200 pounds (tongue weight) that I can load the basket with about 170 pounds?

(one adult or two small children...)

Rick

Yes - you got it exactly right.  I got it specifically to bring home 4 x 40# bags of salt for the water softener.  And be sure to wrap the adult or two small children well ..... :-))  I actually did stand on the basket, I'm 170, just to see if it bottomed out.  No problem - this basket is angled up from the hitch at 45 degrees, clears the hatch wonderfully and extends far enough you can stand between the basket and bumper to pack the rear.

Edited by dontfret, 17 September 2013 - 06:06 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#82 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the images altabrig! I ordered the 2" torklift, still looking for a basket on sale, and want a waterproof carrier bag too.

Thanks for the review.

Rick

My pleasure!

I am pretty sure I pushed the 200lb Tongue Weight to the edge with the 40lb basket loaded on the way home.  Not recommending it, but I had no issues and the hatch door clearance was a huge convenience for diaper changes in the hatch.

I didn't realize when I bought the car that the battery pack raises the cargo area to a height that is great for changing diapers.   The loss of sq ft is easily offset by the diaper change height which my back appreciates.   Maybe Ford marketing can do something with that? :wink:   Or not.  

Ended up getting a red lloyds rubber mat to keep things protected in the hatch.  Ford also had to replace the original hatch carpet under warranty because the glue delaminated and it was peeling up at the front end and the dealer could not get it to glue back down.

• fwroberts likes this

#83 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

I ordered the 2" Curt hitch. It has a 350 lb. tongue weight with a 3500 lb. tow capacity  :wink:

Edited by drdiesel1, 19 September 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#84 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

My pleasure!

I am pretty sure I pushed the 200lb Tongue Weight to the edge with the 40lb basket loaded on the way home. Not recommending it, but I had no issues and the hatch door clearance was a huge convenience for diaper changes in the hatch.

I didn't realize when I bought the car that the battery pack raises the cargo area to a height that is great for changing diapers. The loss of sq ft is easily offset by the diaper change height which my back appreciates. Maybe Ford marketing can do something with that? :wink: Or not.

Ended up getting a red lloyds rubber mat to keep things protected in the hatch. Ford also had to replace the original hatch carpet under warranty because the glue delaminated and it was peeling up at the front end and the dealer could not get it to glue back down.

+1 with using the rear as a diaper changing station

#85 OFFLINE   rhea

rhea

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 170 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationOkeechobee, FL
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

If anyone is planning on buying the Torklift, they are running a $25.-off promo (Pluginday2013 is the code) from 9/28-10/5. I ordered mine about a week ago so too late for me.

#86 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

If anyone is planning on buying the Torklift, they are running a $25.-off promo (Pluginday2013 is the code) from 9/28-10/5. I ordered mine about a week ago so too late for me.

That has been my luck lately too.   A week after I bought my floor mats they went on sale for $30 or $40 less.  

The torklift is a slick product.  I was on the fence for a long time over the TL and Curt, but in the end the 2" size for my cargo hitch and no required stabilizer straps won out.  The easier install didn't hurt either, although I did have a torque wrench malfunction that added some unpleasant time to the job.

Since I have carried a bike on it a few dozen times and the basket, I guess I got my $25 out of it.   If you get the TL go easy on the bolts, or better yet upgrade them.

#87 OFFLINE   Gyrobob

Gyrobob

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

What wiring kit works the best for setting up a standard 4-wire trailer plug?

• MarionSpyder NY likes this

#88 OFFLINE   wantaPHV

wantaPHV

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew England
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:'14 SEL Energi and '13 SV LEAF

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

What wiring kit works the best for setting up a standard 4-wire trailer plug?

Did you get an answer to this? :)

In a different thread this was recommended https://www.amazon.c...uct_top?ie=UTF8though Amazon says it doesn't fit a '14 Energi.  I may go ahead and do it anyway though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·