Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Hitches CURT 1 1/4" or TorkLIFT 2"

? hitch information hitch user beta hitch pictures

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

IMG_2403.JPGIMG_2405.JPGIMG_2432.JPGIMG_2433.JPG

Serious plastic on the packaging.

Careful on the torque.  My torque wrench failed me or I failed to recognize the click at 22lbs and a bolt snapped.  Had to drill it out and re-thread the spot welded unibody bung on the drivers side forward muffler hanger.  Luckily I still had enough thread for to get purchase without going bigger.  Added a couple hours onto what should have been a 20 minute job.   All good now.

My advice is to upgrade the 8mm x 1.25 x 50mm to a 10.9 from the 8.8 rated hardware and just go to tight on the torque. 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

Regarding torqueing.   When I did mine I used my torque wrench, which I hadn't used in many years, and it didn't seem to be working as I could tighten and tighten with no clicking.  So I tested it on the workbench and concluded it was broken, but then found the instructions which specified that it clicks ONLY ONCE when the specified tension is reached which I confirmed on the workbench (bolt in vice). 

I completely blew by the one click, helped by my tinnitus, when I put the bolts on so I loosened them and retighten to snug, pending re-doing, correctly this time, with the torque wrench.  I'm just lucky I didn't strip the threads like happened to altabrig as I don't have the tools to re-thread the hole.  Bullet missed.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 14 May 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#43 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

I used AutoZone's threading tool. They have free loaners tools and the threader is easy.   I really didn't need it but it gave me back 3 threads instead of the two I had left. There are only about 4.5 threads to begin with. My wrench worked on the the other bolts, but I probably had it over 22 before I went to the torque or it was binding slightly on the hitch frame.  No biggie. Time spent and problem solved..

#44 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

Can't wait for the trip report.  Post pics of your loaded max (and of course the Southwest) if you get a chance.   Let us know which cargo bag you get and how it works out.  

I have a 10' longboard stuffed in the max today.

Last weekend we used the Rola cargo bag for an overnight car-camping trip.  It worked out well.  Even with the bag completely full, we could still get the hatch open by pushing on the bag a little bit.  I haven't calculated the exact weight we carried, but we had 2 camp chairs, 3 small tents, 2 large sleeping bags, 3 small bags, 3 large sleeping pads, and 1 compact pad, 3-4 pillows, a cheap propane grill, a whisper lite stove, and fuel, plus some other stuff in the bag. 

Edited by 67gtcougar, 14 May 2013 - 10:21 AM.

• altabrig likes this

#45 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

Nice.  I just have straps and the net right now.   I will probably end up with a bag or a rubbermaid type box at some point.  Please post more pics of you loaded hitch carrier when you get a chance. 

The camping stuff will be crucial for one and two night trips for us.  Fuel and a grill will be on the carrier for certain.

#46 OFFLINE   mikeb

mikeb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

I'm joining the club, have a 2" TorkLift hitch on the way. Thanks everyone for the updates and thinking out loud.

#47 OFFLINE   rtshinn

rtshinn

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 285 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi 302a+Sunroof

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Had mine Torklift for a while, haven't installed it yet. Maybe Sunday

#48 OFFLINE   rtshinn

rtshinn

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 285 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi 302a+Sunroof

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

Ok, finally installed my Torklift 2" hitch. Went fairly smoothly for a one person install.

The instastruction sheets were ok, but man the pictures were very crappy. It really doesn't matter because it's so simple, once you are under there if you can't figure out what to do, you shouldn't be under the car. lol

Pulled the car up on two ramps, and used two jack stands to hold the hitch close to the car while installing.

Made a couple of minor goofs.

1. Started screwing in the driver's side when I realized I forgot about the muffler hanger staring me in the face

2. One center bolt was cross threading, but I was able to take it out and get it started properly

3. I bought a torque wrench specifically for this install, but none of my 13 mm sockets fit it, and I had no adapters that would work. Since it was getting dark, I ended up tightening them up as best I could. I'll get an adapter and go back and check them later.... really...

I'm sure it took less than an hour to do.

#49 OFFLINE   EVtoo

EVtoo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNorth East Florida
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi and Corvette Convertible

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

My 2" TorkLift came in this week. Tackled the job this afternoon. Couple of things,... WOW is this thing was heavy, couldn't do install by myself. Had to call my wife out to help hold the hitch in place (I'm 68 and obviously can't bench what I used too :smile2:) . Easy to cross-thread the bolts, but managed the whole job without ruining a thread. The TAB had to be re-bent because plate would not fit flush. Of course, that meant taking it down and starting all over. Make sure you bend it way out of the way. Bend to include part of the flat piece next to the tab.

Sprayed the tab and bolts with black Rust-oleum to make the job look real neat. Whole job less than an hour.

A little bummed out,... didn't get the plastic plate.

Looks great, can't wait to put the bike rack on and head to the beach.

Edited by EVtoo, 25 May 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   jheth

jheth

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • Current Vehicle:N/A

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

FYI. I've been using my Energi with the TorkLift hitch for a couple weeks now. Main thing to note is kick-sensor doesn't open the rear hatch consistently like it used to. Their website shows a kick can open the hatch, but it's not consistent. Best technique I've found is a quick kick and release. Even then, it's about 50% success rate. Slow or medium-speed kick does not work at all. It's not a deal breaker, since the kick sensor is more of a goofy marketing thing, and not something I use everyday.
Anyone else seeing similar issues?

Edited by jheth, 01 June 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

FYI. I've been using my Energi with the TorkLift hitch for a couple weeks now. Main thing to note is kick-sensor doesn't open the rear hatch consistently like it used to. Their website shows a kick can open the hatch, but it's not consistent. Best technique I've found is a quick kick and release. Even then, it's about 50% success rate. Slow or medium-speed kick does not work at all. It's not a deal breaker, since the kick sensor is more of a goofy marketing thing, and not something I use everyday.
Anyone else seeing similar issues?

When was your Energi built? Does it have the kick sensor TSB applied?

#52 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

^Ditto on Jheth.

Hope the flash will improve the success rate.  Newborn's arrival kept me from getting the 3 flashes done I had scheduled the 17th.  Got something better than the Nav and liftgate software fixes and the 12volt flash. 

I was a sucker for the lift gate kicker marketing thinking it would help my wife load stuff with a baby.  Anyone got the hitch and the software fix?

Edited by altabrig, 03 June 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#53 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Yup! 100% improvement so far!

#54 OFFLINE   mikeb

mikeb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

I now have both the torklift 2" hitch and the software upgrade for the hatch. The hatch does still open with a kick, but it seems like the hitch blocks some of the signal, so you have to kick on the right side. I had one clean opening where the car would have been asleep, so the software patch must have worked, but I also had one time where the hatch didn't open, but I might have been standing too close to the bumper. I also ran into one case where I pushed the button to close the hatch, but the car reported the door was ajar when I got in the car. Re-opening and closing fixed it.

#55 OFFLINE   jheth

jheth

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

When was your Energi built? Does it have the kick sensor TSB applied?

Feb 2013. No TSB (Tech Service Bulletin?...) has been done.

Edited by jheth, 06 June 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

^Ditto on Jheth.

Hope the flash will improve the success rate.  Newborn's arrival kept me from getting the 3 flashes done I had scheduled the 17th.  Got something better than the Nav and liftgate software fixes and the 12volt flash. 

I was a sucker for the lift gate kicker marketing thinking it would help my wife load stuff with a baby.  Anyone got the hitch and the software fix?

Congrats on the new baby!  (Not named CHUNK Jr. I hope)

#57 OFFLINE   leonardz

leonardz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Locationcanada
  • Current Vehicle:ruby red cmax energi 302: formerly Acura MDX

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

Questions re: torklift.

Our main uses will be 

a) moving kids with furniture on a trailer - < 250 kg ( 550 lbs)

b) dump runs with a railer : < 100 kg

c) bikes

Given that : is Ford C-Max ecohitch the right model?

what should determine 1.25" vs 2" - they are the same cost

Also - I can only see how order on the website : is there a SW Ontario place from which we can order?

Advice: Would you advise a novice klutzy installer (me) to pay someone to install it or is it really a no brainer to install safely, neatly and not do damage to the vehicle?

Thanks.

PS 2 weeks or less to car delivery - at this rate the hitch will take longer

#58 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

The biggest reason to choose 1.25 vs. 2 inch is if you already have a rack of one size or the other.

If not I'd go with the 2".  I think it will be better able to withstand the twisting force of a bike rack, which can lean side to side unlike a trailer hitch.  Not a big deal; I've seen plenty of 1.25" bike racks work without issue.  The really big 4-bike rack I wanted only worked with a 2".

The C-Max is not recommended for towing and does not have a trailer wiring harness, so your trailer lights won't work.  They have the threaded inserts for a hitch receiver built into the car, so I'm assuming they intend it to use bike racks or cargo carriers.

To install you'll want ramps or jackstands to lift the car up.  You should have a torque wrench to get the bolts to the specified torque.  The receiver is heavy.  I found a pair of jackstands were handy to hold it up while I maneuvered it into place.  Some of us have posted pictures and notes earlier in this thread.  It's up to you if this sounds easy to you or not.

#59 OFFLINE   Ian

Ian

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCape Cod
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

Woohoo! Just installed the Torklift hitch receiver and mounted the Saris Freedom-2 rack. Added quite a few pounds, but I guess it's just a drop in the bucket on this fatty.

Attached Files

• dr61, Deermouse and fwroberts like this

#60 OFFLINE   jheth

jheth

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

^Ditto on Jheth.

Hope the flash will improve the success rate. Newborn's arrival kept me from getting the 3 flashes done I had scheduled the 17th. Got something better than the Nav and liftgate software fixes and the 12volt flash.

I was a sucker for the lift gate kicker marketing thinking it would help my wife load stuff with a baby. Anyone got the hitch and the software fix?

Got the upgrade about a week ago. It seems to have improved the consistency (success rate) of the kick sensor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·