Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Hitches CURT 1 1/4" or TorkLIFT 2"

? hitch information hitch user beta hitch pictures

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

I installed the Torklift today and took the bike out for a ride on the rack.  It fit perfectly this time.  A couple notes, and some points that are not quite clear in the printed instructions:

I did have that little tab that needed to be bent.  I just didn't get far enough the first time to run into it.

You should probably fold that tab back on itself before you begin the installation.  It is harder to do once the receiver is up in there.

Two bolts are longer than the other four.  This was a change from the first receiver to the replacement.  The long ones go in the middle pair of bolt holes.  The short ones can be made to thread into the middle, but you really have to shove it up to get the threads to catch and then they only tighten a turn or two.  If it's not easy to get the middle bolts started you're using the wrong bolts.

The tabs for the safety chains are near the hole for the pin which attaches the bike rack, making it hard to turn a wrench.  With an adjustable wrench I could barely pivot it at all.  A box end wrench is doable but will take a lot of turns.  A socket would be best.  I'll post some pictures when I get a chance...

The receiver feels very stout, fits well, and is as low profile as it can be.  After getting the replacement I'm quite happy with my purchase so far.

• altabrig likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   JohnE-nrg

JohnE-nrg

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationNebraska
  • Current Vehicle:94 Cougar, soon to be C-Max

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for your feedback. After reviewing the 2 vs 1.25 debate I am leaning more towards getting the tl with a 2.

#23 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

I added a couple photos to the gallery.

http://fordcmaxenerg...bum/11-viajero/

• fwroberts likes this

#24 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for your feedback. After reviewing the 2 vs 1.25 debate I am leaning more towards getting the tl with a 2.

I originally got the 2" for my previous car because I thought it would better resist the torque of the bike rack with multiple bikes trying to sway side to side as it bounces along.  I suppose they've done their mechanical engineering work to ensure it can handle the specified load, but it makes me feel better to have a wider bar - less leverage on it for a given rack.

#25 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

I installed the Torklift today and took the bike out for a ride on the rack.  It fit perfectly this time.  A couple notes, and some points that are not quite clear in the printed instructions:

I did have that little tab that needed to be bent.  I just didn't get far enough the first time to run into it.

You should probably fold that tab back on itself before you begin the installation.  It is harder to do once the receiver is up in there.

Two bolts are longer than the other four.  This was a change from the first receiver to the replacement.  The long ones go in the middle pair of bolt holes.  The short ones can be made to thread into the middle, but you really have to shove it up to get the threads to catch and then they only tighten a turn or two.  If it's not easy to get the middle bolts started you're using the wrong bolts.

The tabs for the safety chains are near the hole for the pin which attaches the bike rack, making it hard to turn a wrench.  With an adjustable wrench I could barely pivot it at all.  A box end wrench is doable but will take a lot of turns.  A socket would be best.  I'll post some pictures when I get a chance...

The receiver feels very stout, fits well, and is as low profile as it can be.  After getting the replacement I'm quite happy with my purchase so far.

Thanks for the tips and pics.  Sounds like the TL is a good call for our cars.

I am leaning toward the TL despite the extra $.   My 2" hitch has been much better  (less jiggle, bounce, and sway) with the bike rack than the 1 1/4."   It has also rattled less than the 1 1/4" when trailering my lightweight trailer.

#26 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

I'll also add that the receiver itself doesn't interfere with anything.  The kick sensor still works; just place your foot to either side of the receiver.

The install went easier once I took my key out of my pocket and set it aside so the silly thing wouldn't keep trying to open and close itself while I was working underneath it.

The bike rack, on the other hand, causes the rear parking sonar to go off continuously when the car is in reverse.

#27 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

The bike rack, on the other hand, causes the rear parking sonar to go off continuously when the car is in reverse.

You can shut that off with the left control pad for as long as the car is running.

#28 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:43 AM

ArizonaEnergi,

I am going to go with the TL despite the fact that I can get the Curt shipped for $131 before taxes from AutoAnything.   I don't want to be switching back and forth my bike rack arm between the 2" and 1.25."

Saw your picture with hitch cover on the Hybrid Forum.  They have a Mod over there.   Hopefully we can get these two combined to keep from having to bounce between windows and keep all the information tidier.

That silver hitch cover didn't come with the hitch did it?  Looks like a Curt metal cover on your pic over on the Hybrid Cmax Forum.  

I have on old rubber one I will use to keep sand and dirt out when surfing.   I don't use one on my 2" our snow vehicle because it seems to hold salt from the salty road slush in the hitch.   I just pressure wash it when I was the undercarriage, which I will have to do occasionally on the C-max due to salt in the sand and grime by the beach.

#29 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:04 AM

Yes, the hitch came with that plastic cover.

And yes, this topic is an excellent example as to why these two forums, managed and owned by the same entity, should be combined post-haste!  Wasting user time and making their use more inefficient is not a good business plan.

Hitch3.jpg

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 12 April 2013 - 06:08 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Yeah.  Thanks again for the great pics.  It would be nice to have your DIY thread accessible from this forum without jumping through your hyperlink at the start of the thread.

Ordered the TL for $120 more than the 1.25" Curt.  Now I better not over torque and rip the thing out with the Cargo or Bike carrier (especially if I use an extender on occasion for hatch clearance convenience)!

Anybody need a 1.25" hitch receiver arm for a Yakima  bike rack.  You can have it for the shipping cost. 

Also, I have a 1.25"  5.5" rise ball mount with a 1 7/8" ball and a locking pin with two keys.   If someone needs it for a light trailer $10 + shipping.  Happy to post a pic of either.

Edited by altabrig, 12 April 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

Sorry, but if I post the hitch install DIY here, the dual-forum crowd will have won!  Ain't going to do it.  Threads that are not Energi-specific should be posted on the other forum for the most responses and views.

#32 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

No apologies needed, it was an offhand comment about efficiency not about the post's placement.  I am not emotionally invested in the argument.  If the owner of the site decides he can marginally increase his google ad click through revenue stream by having two, sites that his his right.  

One member started a new forum for those that are really perturbed by the disconnect between Cmax trimline forums.  It was surprising to see some of the emotion in responses to his effort to come up with a more navigable solution.  

It would be nice to have a moderator or two around here to regulate things and consolidate threads.     Speaking of which, is there a classified forum where I can offer the 1.25" attachments and people can sell Cmax gear, tires, rims, stock equipment, etc?

#33 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

On the first leg of my last trip I placed two plastic totes on the outside of the carrier, with 2 small carry-on bags in the middle.  With the totes on the outside, I could still open the hatch.  I bought a 50 gallon tote that was under $20.  It worked pretty well, but I don't think it would survive a long road trip.  I decided to order one of the cargo bags from Amazon.  We will found out in June just how well the CMax handles a full load when we take a 2 week road trip to the Southwest.  We will need tents, sleeping bags, stoves and food, so we should be Maxed out. 

#34 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

On the first leg of my last trip I placed two plastic totes on the outside of the carrier, with 2 small carry-on bags in the middle.  With the totes on the outside, I could still open the hatch.  I bought a 50 gallon tote that was under $20.  It worked pretty well, but I don't think it would survive a long road trip.  I decided to order one of the cargo bags from Amazon.  We will found out in June just how well the CMax handles a full load when we take a 2 week road trip to the Southwest.  We will need tents, sleeping bags, stoves and food, so we should be Maxed out. 

Can't wait for the trip report.  Post pics of your loaded max (and of course the Southwest) if you get a chance.   Let us know which cargo bag you get and how it works out.  

I have a 10' longboard stuffed in the max today.

• JohnE-nrg likes this

#35 OFFLINE   TorontoEnergi

TorontoEnergi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

I wondering if anyone is planning to put a bike carrier on their c-max hitch that can hold 4 bikes?  I just ordered a c-max energi with the Torklift 2" hitch but I saw on the Thule website that no more than two bikes can go on a class 1 hitch.  The curt has a smaller receiver but claims to be a class II.  I called Torklift and they said their hitch is as strong as the class 2 curt hitch but is only rated class 1 because that is the most the c-max chassis can handle.  That being said, he said that despite what Thule says, he would see no problem putting four bikes on the rack so long as the total weight does not exceed 200 pounds.  Two of the bikes I'm putting on will weigh about 30 pounds and other two (kids) will be lighter so I'll be well under the limit.  I'm planning to get the top of the line Thule that swings out and only fits a 2" receiver.  Any thoughts?  Anyone else doing this?  When I use the bike rack, it will be when I go camping and I'll also have the Thule roof rack and car top carrier on to hold camping supplies.  Any thoughts on whether the added weight of a fully loaded vehicle will cause any issues with the 2 " hitch?

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

• maryinredding likes this

#36 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

The Energi has a curb weight of 3,899#, and a GVWR of 4,960#.  So bascially a cargo weight of 1,061#.  So when you add up all the people, the stuff, the roof carrier, the hitch, the bike rack and the bikes, you are suppose to be under that number.

Personally, I would have no problem putting a four-bike rack on it with four 30# bikes.  I put a 40# carrier in it and put my 220# self on top of it, and nothing came crashing down.  I think the six large bolts provide plenty of security for the hitch and 200# of bikes.  IMHO.  YMMV.

#37 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

The Energi has a curb weight of 3,899#, and a GVWR of 4,960#.  So bascially a cargo weight of 1,061#.  So when you add up all the people, the stuff, the roof carrier, the hitch, the bike rack and the bikes, you are suppose to be under that number.

Personally, I would have no problem putting a four-bike rack on it with four 30# bikes.  I put a 40# carrier in it and put my 220# self on top of it, and nothing came crashing down.  I think the six large bolts provide plenty of security for the hitch and 200# of bikes.  IMHO.  YMMV.

The sticker in the driver's door frame says not to exceed 825 lbs for passengers and cargo.  I guess they don't consider the driver as one of the passengers.  That is good news for us.  With 4 passengers, a hitch carrier, and camping gear, we couldn't figure out a way to not exceed the 825 limit and still be able to camp comfortably in the desert.     

#38 OFFLINE   jheth

jheth

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • Current Vehicle:N/A

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Ok, I just ordered the Torklift.

Going to go on a trip Memorial Day weekend and will have 4 people. The only way I'll have enough room for luggage is to put a platform on the hitch. The good news is it won't add to the wind resistance.

How long did it take for you to receive the Torklift hitch? I ordered on Tuesday, and now it's Friday. It hasn't even shipped out of their facility yet. Good grief. I would be more patient, except their website gave a "delivery time" of 2 days (which I didn't believe anyway).

#39 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

I didn't get my receiver right away either.  I remember calling Customer Service on a Monday after not seeing any shipping notifications after several days, and they said that there was a high demand for these, but that mine would ship on Wednesday. It then arrived on that Thursday.

#40 OFFLINE   EVtoo

EVtoo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNorth East Florida
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi and Corvette Convertible

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Ordered the 2" Torklift on May 6. Thanks to all for info and pictures. I already had a four bike Yakima carrier and a Harbor Freight Cargo carrier both needed a 2" receiver. I had used an extension adapter on our 2010 Prius and was never happy with the 1.25" receiver with the adapter.

Can't wait for the arrival of the hitch to get back to riding the beach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·