Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Hitches CURT 1 1/4" or TorkLIFT 2"

? hitch information hitch user beta hitch pictures

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

Can anyone post some information about the hitch they have installed on their Cmax and post pictures of the install or the hitch installed.   Anyone who has researched the options and is deciding on a hitch - please comment.

I am debating two hitches the CURT 1.25" and the TorkLIFT 2".  I have owned CURT 1 1/4" hitches on my Prius and my xB and currently

have a CURT 2" on my Outback.  

My Yakima Bighorn 4 bike rack has a 1 1/4" and 2" arm for either hitch.  However the cargo carrier I have only goes in a 2", and using the carrier with a 1 1/4" to 2" CURT adapter would compromise the max tongue weight by 50% bringing the max weight down to 175lb before the carrier from the 350lb max on the 1 1/4" CURT without the 2" adapter.

The Torklift 2" is rated 200lb max tongue weight, which I imagine is due to the fact that purchase is only achieved through the vertical bolts?  The CURT bolts are fishwired from the top down and then a nut and washer locks the hitch in vertically.  I assume the CURT design has greater shear strength at higher loads? 

I don't imagine going over 125lb or 150lb combined with bikes and hitch rack or carrier and cargo combo due to the stresses placed on the Cmax frame, so the difference between the two may be moot in terms of load rating.  So it is mainly a cost and convenience issue: ~$135 for the CURT vs.  $250 for the Torklift; the CURT is a more difficult install due to the need to fishwire the bolts through expanded holes and new holes must be tapped in the frame rail, whereas the Torklift appears to be a simple bolt on procedure from below.  I believe both require the exhaust hangers to be popped off during the install.

Any pics or first hand experience would be helpful.  I think I read over on the hybrid forum that ArizonaEnergy bolted on a 2" Torklift.  How was the install?  How is the kick activated trunk if you have it with the hitch installed?   I know the kicker works with the hitch in the Torklift Video, but user beta would be better than the company marketing video which is accompanied by a disclaimer for any damage caused by their hitch to the Cmax.  Can you post a pic of the hitch and the bolt points (purchase) in the frame?

I have a lightweight Aluminum trailer for Kayaks, but will not be towing that with the Cmax until a plug and play harness is marketed for the Cmax.   IMO there are too many possible problems with re-pinning or splicing a harness onto the Cmax, but please post if you have come up a t-connector re-pin or splice that works.  The Torklift site has pre-purchase  available for a fused isolated harness direct to the battery, but the thing is $$$.

Thanks for any insight, information, and pics.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

My thread with pictures is here: http://fordcmaxhybri...central-hitch/  It was an easy bolt-on using six threaded sockets in the frame.  I have pictures there of the installed bolts on the two sides.  The bracket on the drivers side and center holds the muffler so when you remove those bolts the muffler hangs down out of the way.  Then the brackets are bolted back on top of the hitch frame.

16k13ch.jpg

2h4ygqb.jpg

zven8y.jpg

The kicker still works - when you do it just right as usual.  I did not do any wiring as I'll only be using it for a bike rack and cargo tray.

Other than supporting the weight while getting the first bolts in, and bending the tab out of the way, it was an easy install, and could easily be removed if desired.  I recommend it.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 29 March 2013 - 02:29 PM.

• rhea likes this

#3 OFFLINE   rhea

rhea

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 170 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationOkeechobee, FL
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

Thanks again, ArizonaEnergi. That last picture was a great addition to the others. 

#4 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

2h4ygqb.jpg

zven8y.jpg

Great pic showing how the hitch packs up between the muffler and plastic bumper nicely.   Anyone got a Curt on their Max?  

#5 OFFLINE   JohnE-nrg

JohnE-nrg

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationNebraska
  • Current Vehicle:94 Cougar, soon to be C-Max

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'm leaning toward getting a CURT for mine. E trailer has the install instructions on their site that has install and final pictures. I'm drawn to the CURT due to its price and class II rating. I figure if I get little uneasy on doing the install myself I can pay someone and still probably come out decent on cost.

#6 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

I don't think the opening up of the holes is a big deal (if you were safety glasses) and the fishwiring the bolt shouldn't be too bad, but I am not sure I want to max out the class II rating.  I don't think the Cmax will do well with 350lb hanging on the frame.  I bet the E and the ICE motors wouldn't sweat getting 3500lbs rolling on the tow, but can the frame handle that?  Not sure I would feel good about towing much weight at higher elevations.   I think the Class I Torklift will be sufficient for any needs.  I cant see towing more than a few hundred pounds in the Energi, but I can see going slightly over the torklift tongue weight rating of 200lbs by a few when using my Curt cargo carrier.

I like the convenience of 2" on the Tork, but the price point on the Curt.  The Curt can be bought for around $130 shipped on couple of internet auto sites if you use their 15% new customer discount.  Torklift doesn't seem to come in any less than $250.

JohnE-nrg - Do you plan on needing the class II tongue weight and tow limits?

#7 OFFLINE   JohnE-nrg

JohnE-nrg

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

I don't have any hitch accessories yet and it seems that class II cargo carriers and bike racks are easier to come by. CURT also is just a bit more familiar brand to me. I don't plan on towing anything at this point.

Besides CURT, there are some other hitches like draw tight and hidden hitch that are class I rated, but also require drilling. After taking a look at the torque requirements for the existing bolts I can understand why another bolt may be a good idea.

#8 OFFLINE   rtshinn

rtshinn

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 285 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi 302a+Sunroof

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

Ok, I just ordered the Torklift.

Going to go on a trip Memorial Day weekend and will have 4 people. The only way I'll have enough room for luggage is to put a platform on the hitch. The good news is it won't add to the wind resistance.

#9 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

I am still weighing the two.   Which Torklift did you go with? 1.25 or 2"?

#10 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

Issues raised on another thread about the weight on a hitch basket effecting handling to the negative have raised some possible positive and negative tradeoffs between hitches.

You get the 350/3500 with the Curt, but for non-towing applications Curt mandates the use of inconvenient stabilizer straps for bike and cargo carriers.  

You get the 200/2000 with the Tork, but you have the better rigidity for bike carriers with 2" vs 1.25" (in my experience) and no need for stabilizer straps. 

I use a Yakima Bighorn 4 and sometimes load 3 to 5 heavy bikes on it.   On my Prius and xB the hitch rack would bounce in the 1.25" hitch,  the hitch rack is much less prone to sway and bounce in the 2" on our Outback.

Most of the time it will be only one bike on the Cmax for quick surfing trips after work to Trestles.

If you have a hitch can you post which one you went with i.e.  Hidden Hitch, Curt, Torklift 1.25" or 2"?  

Also, can you post if you are using or plan on using either an extender for a 2" or an adapter for a 1.25"?

Thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   rtshinn

rtshinn

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

2"

I am still weighing the two.   Which Torklift did you go with? 1.25 or 2"?

#12 OFFLINE   JohnE-nrg

JohnE-nrg

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

It's not the size that matters it's how you use it. Anyway I say if you've already got some 2 inch accessories and don't mind paying a little more for the hitch go ahead and get the 2 inch tl. Just be careful with what you put on it, 2 inch lets you put on some heavy duty class3 stuff.

#13 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

I ordered the Torklift 2" because I already have an expensive 2" bike rack.  When it arrived the bolt pattern was wrong.  They replaced it without any hassle and I'm going to install the replacement this weekend.

BTW, when I tried to install the first one I didn't see the tab which the manual for the new one says to bend.  Maybe it was not on earlier C-Max builds?

Edited by viajero, 04 April 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

I ordered the Torklift 2" because I already have an expensive 2" bike rack.  When it arrived the bolt pattern was wrong.  They replaced it without any hassle and I'm going to install the replacement this weekend.

BTW, when I tried to install the first one I didn't see the tab which the manual for the new one says to bend.  Maybe it was not on earlier C-Max builds?

Interesting!  The tab has a hole in it at the bottom, so maybe it was added for some purpose after production started?

#15 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

It's not the size that matters it's how you use it. Anyway I say if you've already got some 2 inch accessories and don't mind paying a little more for the hitch go ahead and get the 2 inch tl. Just be careful with what you put on it, 2 inch lets you put on some heavy duty class3 stuff.

I have 1.25" ball mounts and a conversion arm for the bike rack from previous hitches.  I could do either, but will go easy on the tongue weight for sure with whatever I end up with.

Edited by altabrig, 04 April 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

I wonder if that tab can be sawzalled off instead of bent?  Does it have a function? Just touch it up with some autoprimer and paint after the bend or hack.

#17 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

You could saw it off, probably using a sabresaw.  The metal is relatively thin.  I just don't know what it's purpose is or if it would ever be needed for some future purpose.  Ford put there for some reason.  Or did they?

#18 OFFLINE   rtshinn

rtshinn

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

Hope mine has the right layout

#19 OFFLINE   Frankman

Frankman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Volt

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Does anyone know of a covered cargo carrier that will hang from the hitches mentioned on this thread? The back of our C-Max seems to attract a lot of road dust even on short drives. If exposed luggage is placed in a cargo carrier on the back of the vehicle it would be a huge mess when we got to our destination. Maybe a big zippered bag would work?

Edited by Frankman, 07 April 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Does anyone know of a covered cargo carrier that will hang from the hitches mentioned on this thread? The back of our C-Max seems to attract a lot of road dust even on short drives. If exposed luggage is placed in a cargo carrier on the back of the vehicle it would be a huge mess when we got to our destination. Maybe a big zippered bag would work?

Here is one of the cheaper bag options.  http://www.amazon.co...rgo carrier bag

There are many options.  I have seen folks using rubbermaid bins and very expensive plastic hitch boxes which can run over $400.   The rubbermaid totes seem to keep the shmutz off.  Offroad enthusiasts seem to like the heavier duty action packer boxes by rubbermaid, but they may take up too much space. 

http://www.amazon.co...ction packer 35

I think most plastic totes that fit will keep your gear clean and dry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·