Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Lessons learned from a dead 12 volt battery

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Found this one... http://fordcmaxenerg...2-dayscar-dies/

I think there is another somewhere

This is the other I was thinking of... http://fordcmaxenerg...ealer#entry7022

but after reading it again, I don't think that one pertains to you.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   chryssa

chryssa

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 104 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

@Honemch, thanks for the speedy reply!  The second link might not apply to me, but it does give more food for thought.  Plus, Shorttack shows how important it is to keep detailed records of all system anomalies.  

#23 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Whew, y'all are scaring me!  I'm getting impatient and not-so-thrilled with my salesman - placed an order March 27 and have yet to see an order confirmation, DORA or VIN.  On the other hand maybe the longer I wait the more glitches will be worked out.

@Honemch - do you remember where you read about the bad circuit board?

I still love the car.  I was lucky when my order stalled back in February, since I was able to purchase the exact car from a lot in Oregon.  We love not having to hastle with gas stations very often.  Around town we only use about 3 gallons/month.  Hopefully all the bad publicity doesn't make the CMax as rare as the Ford Edsel. 

#24 OFFLINE   stevenlit

stevenlit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Evergi, Toyota Avalon, Chevy Tracker ZR2

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

I just returned from a five day trip. We towed our Energi behind the moho. Going, we had no problems. The high voltage battery was fully chared. I assume the 12 volt was too. We stopped overnight. The Energi is a great toad by the way. Coming back we did the 381 mile trip in one shot, with just brief stretch breaks. I was running in hybrid mode the last day and didn't charge it over night. When we got home after about 8 hours travel, I had to put a charger on the battery for 15-20 minutes in order to move it to the garage to plug it in. Manual sez stop every 6 hours, run the engine for 5 minutes, etc. Heck, I haven't figured out how to start the gas engine yet. I'd appreciate any knowledge you all can provide me.

#25 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

I just returned from a five day trip. We towed our Energi behind the moho. Going, we had no problems. The high voltage battery was fully chared. I assume the 12 volt was too. We stopped overnight. The Energi is a great toad by the way. Coming back we did the 381 mile trip in one shot, with just brief stretch breaks. I was running in hybrid mode the last day and didn't charge it over night. When we got home after about 8 hours travel, I had to put a charger on the battery for 15-20 minutes in order to move it to the garage to plug it in. Manual sez stop every 6 hours, run the engine for 5 minutes, etc. Heck, I haven't figured out how to start the gas engine yet. I'd appreciate any knowledge you all can provide me.

With the car "on" and in park, push on the gas pedal.

#26 OFFLINE   macmic6

macmic6

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

I have gone out to my car numerous times and found it dead. I or DH call Ford roadside, who brings out the battery that allows us to charge the car. Car goes to dealer and they can't find the problem. Car comes home and works fine for days or weeks then does it again. Well last week was the last straw. It happened twice in two days. I told them to keep it until it is fixed. They think they have found the problem. The ignition switch was sticking and draining the battery. I hope this fixes it because otherwise Ford will be giving me a new car under the Lemon Law. I just can't trust this car to be running when I need it. I have to have a car that starts every day. I have read all the postings on stuff that is causing it., 

#27 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

This dead thread sure illustrates that the early builds have had the battery issues from the get go. SHOULD BE a recall or at least a FORD COVERED TCU FLASH TSB when this common failure occurs.

#28 OFFLINE   OhioEnergi1

OhioEnergi1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCleveland
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax energi

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

Well, it's been 4 years with my CMaxEnergi and I am again having dead battery problems. Sync and audio died, then a few days later I had 2 days of dead battery over the next few days. Got it to not die til I could get it to the dealer by running it on hybrid mode. The dealer fixed Sync, found some sort of small current drain on the battery and said it was good to go, after I paid a deductible on my extended warranty. Now tonight it is once again dead. Maybe it's just time for a new 12v battery, but isn't that the kind of thing they could have figured out when it was there before?

#29 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWV
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:19 AM

Well, it's been 4 years with my CMaxEnergi and I am again having dead battery problems. Sync and audio died, then a few days later I had 2 days of dead battery over the next few days. Got it to not die til I could get it to the dealer by running it on hybrid mode. The dealer fixed Sync, found some sort of small current drain on the battery and said it was good to go, after I paid a deductible on my extended warranty. Now tonight it is once again dead. Maybe it's just time for a new 12v battery, but isn't that the kind of thing they could have figured out when it was there before?

Just for the heck of it, pull fuse 79, put it back and see what happens.

#30 OFFLINE   Shorttack

Shorttack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWestport, MA; Savannah, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi 303A

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

Same symptoms happened to my 2013 Energi this week. Charged the 12-volt battery overnight and took the car to the dealer. They ran a load test and a top-off charge. Battery declared OK and good to go.

The battery died after a month of mostly -- 80% hybrid battery use -- followed by a two-week vacation while the hybrid was on charge. I think the 12-volt gradually discharged due to the constant small electronic loads on it.

In the future, I'll charge the 12-volt before a vacation or leave it on trickle charge.

#31 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:40 PM

To prevent a dead 12v battery while on vacation, I jump my 12v Cmax battery to a 12v marine deep cycle battery.  Leave the jumper cables on the whole time I'm gone, this way my 12v battery is alot "bigger" in capacity and can survive 1 month unattended with no incident.

-=>Raja.

#32 OFFLINE   RobotsRock

RobotsRock

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi SEL 303 A with Panoramic Roof

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:16 AM

Same symptoms happened to my 2013 Energi this week. Charged the 12-volt battery overnight and took the car to the dealer. They ran a load test and a top-off charge. Battery declared OK and good to go.

The battery died after a month of mostly -- 80% hybrid battery use -- followed by a two-week vacation while the hybrid was on charge. I think the 12-volt gradually discharged due to the constant small electronic loads on it.

In the future, I'll charge the 12-volt before a vacation or leave it on trickle charge.

Same problem here...I've had sporadic electrical problems with this car non-stop since purchase. Audio/Sync/E911/Proximity Sensors all died Tuesday...myFordMobile sent out message on Wednesday that the 12V was low and now it's completely dead. Towed it to the dealer today morning and we'll see what happens...hopefully not another 45+ day repair after my prior experiences (http://fordcmaxenerg...ial/)...waiting for some magic from my Lawyer from Magnuss-Moss as I'm tired of this. I wonder if there will be another recall of some sort...seems one-by-one- 2013's are experiencing the same problem as if on a self-destruct timer.

#33 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:18 PM

Link to my post on a similar thread.

http://fordcmaxenerg...ge-3#entry47494

#34 OFFLINE   RobotsRock

RobotsRock

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi SEL 303 A with Panoramic Roof

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:03 PM

Same problem here...I've had sporadic electrical problems with this car non-stop since purchase. Audio/Sync/E911/Proximity Sensors all died Tuesday...myFordMobile sent out message on Wednesday that the 12V was low and now it's completely dead. Towed it to the dealer today morning and we'll see what happens...hopefully not another 45+ day repair after my prior experiences (http://fordcmaxenerg...ial/)...waiting for some magic from my Lawyer from Magnuss-Moss as I'm tired of this. I wonder if there will be another recall of some sort...seems one-by-one- 2013's are experiencing the same problem as if on a self-destruct timer.

My nightmares with Ford continue sadly. The car was towed to the dealer a week ago on Saturday and they didn't get back to me until Thursday ... only after I called multiple times asking what was going on. They're claiming they can't find anything else wrong but the battery having to be replaced...so now I'm on the hook for the diagnostic fee + battery to a tune of over $300. I expressed disbelief having to pay the diagnostic fee and what my Premiumcare ESP was for if I had a video of the Sync and covered systems failing right before even if they couldn't see the problem after the car's electronics had reset, and also that I've sent Ford certified letters and had multiple repairs over my electronics draining the battery...since I shouldn't be paying for a battery under 35k miles with normal operation. They didn't care, nor did Ford corporate when I called in disbelief given my service history of these defects. Seems like they drained my fully charged HVB as well...it had 15 miles of charge and now myFordMobile shows 0 miles. When I countered why it took them 4 business days to come up with a battery diagnosis, they claimed they were too busy and had other priorities...over a dead car? Going to pick it up tomorrow and somehow expecting a dead car again and being charged another diagnostic fee the way things go with this car. Can't wait for my Lawyer to get to some resolution - I'm in disbelief...multiple 45+ day repairs waiting for parts..failure after failure...on a nearly 40k investment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·